"Praetor-Tribune" project log, part 6: the lollipop sword
In the last part of the project, I will touch on one more important focal point of the our praetor miniature, which is the sword. I decided to do his blade is bright red and very contrast both in light and in color. This scheme is very similar to the one I used when painting crystals on the Demonsmith's base last year, but it has some changes.
Firstly, I finally bought my favorite Basic Red from Andrea Color (and a few more of their colors), which I'm incredibly happy with. And secondly, the shape of the blade forced alternating two variants of red, to achieve greater contrast.
I note that from the point of view of the display light and color on the blade a certain number of errors are allowed. But they are made deliberately to increase the contrast between the surfaces. In addition, after a series of tests, it was decided to abandon the glowing stones on the blade and reduce the OSL effect a minimum (because of which it was half repainted one hand)
The Light. Here everything is standard, as for the previous parts. First I chose the place for the main highlight and made a shadows, midlights, additionals light and reflexes. The most important of which I proceeded - with fracture surface should be strong contrast. This visually emphasizes the shape and along with the color makes the blade of the sword a focal point.
Colour. When working with the blade, in addition to the contrast of light and shadow, I decided to add a color contrast between the surfaces. The brightest part will be cold red (due to white), the second - a warm yellow-orange. You can notice that one of the surfaces is partially made in one grade, partly in another. In this case, I sacrificed "correctness" for the sake of greater contrast and dramatic effect.
As the base color for the "cold" part, I used Dark Red (Andrea Color) sequentially flashed through pure Basic Red (AC) to Scarlet (VMC). For final highlights and highlights, I used a mixture of Scarlett and Pearl White (P88), which gradually added white. In addition, as far as highlighting, I periodically made Basic Red frosting to keep a cool red tint.
The base color for the warm part was a mixture of black and Dark Vermillion (VMC), which was consistently bleached from the beginning to the pure Dark Vermillion, and then to Scarlet. The final highlightings were made by a mixture of Scarlet and Amarantha Red (both VMCs).