Tuesday 4 February 2020

How to paint the Krieg guardsman

 How to paint Krieg Guardsman


In this short article I will describe those painting recipes that I used when working on the Krieg Guardsman with a flamer. In this miniature, I decided to experiment a little with new colors, slightly modifying old recipes. I hope this shows you that you can and should experiment with paints, try something new.

Part 1: Greatcoat.

This time I did not take black as the basis for the recipe, but changed it to the absolutely wonderful Green Gray from Scalecolor Artist. Despite the name, the color can more likely be described as blue-black. To highlight it, I used the standard “warm” body lightening scheme: first, a little Ratskin Flesh (GW), and then highlighted with the addition of Pale Flesh (VGC). This method of extraction makes the shade warmer, although in our case it is rather less cold.






 note that if you use black instead of Green Gray, you get the color as in the previous Krieg Engineer.


Part 2: Bags and belts.

Here I decided to move slightly away from the recipe based on Pacific88 paints, in favor of SC Artist and GW. If you don’t have a P88 Reddish Brown you may use Dark Fleshtone (VGC) instead.

As a base, a mixture of reddish brown from P88 with a little black was used. The base mix was highlighted first by Burnt Siena (SC A), then Scrag Brown (GW), and finally Khaki (VGC).





It will be noted that here the color transition is sharper and more discrete, in contrast to the rest of the model. In my opinion, this gives more contrast and expressiveness.

Part 3: windings.

Initially, I was not going to describe this part, but since there were questions ...

As a basis, I used a mixture of US Olive Drab (VMC) and Earth (VGC), after which I first branched to pure Earth, after which I added Khaki (VGC) in the final stages of Iraqui Sand.





2 comments: